SUBJECT – VERB CONCORD
SUBJECT – VERB CONCORD means that the ‘Finite Verb‘ agrees with the number and person of the subject. Therefore, Concord means agreement. A singular subject takes a singular verb, while a plural subject takes a plural verb. However, the students are advised to keep in mind the following rules:
Subject-Verb Concord rules;
1. The error of proximity
2. The introductory there
3. Two or more singular Nouns or pronouns joined by and
4. Sentences containing with ,as well as, Along with, not only…… but also.
5. Sentences containing Either… or, Neither… nor
6. Sentences containing Either, Neither, Each, Everyone, one of the, None
7. Nouns plural in form but Singular in Meeting
8. Nouns Singular in Form but Plural in meaning
9. Class Nouns
10. A Pair of
11. Collective Nouns
12. Relative Pronouns as Subjects
13. The modals ‘can’, ‘could’, ‘shall’, ‘should’, ‘will’, etc. do not changes with the change in the ‘number’ and ‘person’ of the ‘subject’.
1. The Error of Proximity
Usually, the verb is placed very close to its subject. Therefore, it becomes easy for us to ensure that the two agree with each other. However, we have to be careful in the use of the verb if it is far from its subject.
The condition of these stairs is not very good.
In the sentence, the subject is condition (and not stairs), so the verb is agrees with the subject condition.
2. The Introductory there
Normally, the verb is placed after the subject. However, in sentences beginning with there, the real subject is placed after the verb, so we have to be careful in the use of the verb.
- There is no student in the library. (student is)
- There are many obstacles to be overcome. (obstacles are)
3. Two or More Singular Nouns or Pronouns Joined by and
(i) If the subject consists of two or more singular nouns or pronouns joined by and, it takes a plural verb.
Example: Tina and Tarini are sisters.
(ii) But if the nouns refer to the same person or thing, the verb is singular
Example: The poet and novelist is no more.
(iii) When the nouns express a single idea, they take a singular verb.
Example: Bread and jam makes a tasty breakfast.
4. Sentences Containing With, As well as, Along with, Not only… but also
(1) When the subject consists of two nouns or pronouns joined by, with, as well as or along with, the verb agrees with the first of them.
- The captain, with his retinue, has arrived.
- They, as well as I, are leaving for the summer camp.
- The general, along with his soldiers, has arrived at
(ii) When two subjects are connected with not only … but also, the verb agrees with the latter subject.
- Not only Anandini but also her siblings want to visit their hometown.
- Not only Romi but also Saumya wants to visit grandma.
5. Sentences Containing Either… or, Neither… nor
When two subjects are connected with either… or, or neither… nor, the verb agrees with the latter subject.
- Either Harish or his sister has the car keys.
- Neither you nor I was prepared.
6. Sentences Containing Either, Neither, Each, Everyone, One of the, None
(i) Either, neither, each, everyone, one of the, take a singular verb.
- Either of these two candidates is fit for the job.
- Neither of the girls was trained.
- Each of the girls has a book
- Everyone of these workers is a trained electrician.
- One of these candidates is sure to be selected.
(ii) Nouns qualified by each and every when joined by ‘and’ take a singular verb.
- Each detective and each police officer was given a medal.
- Every boy and every girl was given a prize.
(iii) When none refers to amount or quantity, it takes a singular verb. However, when none of is followed by a plural noun or a pronoun, the verb is usually plural but can be singular.
- None of the information was useful.
7. Nouns Plural in Form but Singular in Meaning
(i) Some nouns which are plural in form but singular in meaning take a singular verb. These include the names of various branches of learning and the names of diseases.
- Mathematics is a difficult subject to master.
- Measles is a disease most children experience.
(ii) When a plural noun is the name of a book or a country, it takes a singular verb.
- The Arabian Nights is still very popular.
- The United States has signed a trade agreement with India.
(iii) When a plural noun denotes some specific quantity, amount or distance considered as a whole, it takes a singular verb.
- Five hundred years is a long, long time.
- Three hundred rupees is enough for this labour.
8. Nouns Singular in Form but plural in Meaning
Nouns which are singular in form but plural in meaning take a plural verb.
- People are getting tired of empty promises.
- Cattle were lashed mercilessly.
9. Class Nouns
Class nouns such as food, clothing, furniture, crockery, cutlery, stationery are uncountable and take a singular verb.
- The furniture in this apartment has been bought from a shop in London.
- The stationery sold here is made of recycled paper.
10. A Pair of
A pair of shoes, a pair of trousers, a pair of scissors, etc. are treated as singular. However, if we omit the words a pair of and merely use the plural word, it takes a plural verb.
- A pair of cotton trousers is in the cupboard.
- This pair of scissors belongs to me.
- These cotton trousers are very fashionable.
- Her shoes are terribly uncomfortable.
11. Collective Nouns
Collective nouns (crowd, group, army, committee, jury, assembly, herd, etc.) take a singular verb when considered as a whole, or when all the members of a collective noun are performing an action as a unit.
- The jury has agreed to our proposal.
- A flock of sheep was grazing in the field.
12. Relative Pronouns as Subjects
When the subject of a verb is a relative pronoun, the verb agrees with the antecedent of the relative pronoun.
- I am the person who has always helped you in times of distress
- This is one of the best albums that have been released this year.
13. The modals ‘can’, ‘could’, ‘shall’, ‘should’, ‘will’, etc. do not change with the change in the ‘number’ and ‘person’ of the ‘subject’.
- UPTET Target Times Paper PDF|प्राथमिक शिक्षक वर्ग हेतु
- Longman English Grammar Practice For UPTET Pdf Download
- बुद्धि निर्माण एवं बहुआयामी बुद्धि और शिक्षा
- Bihar TET Best Book PDF in Hindi or English Notes
- Socialization and Education समाजीकरण एवं शिक्षा: CTET
- Moral Development Theory of Kohlberg
- Principles of Development विकास के सिद्धांत – CTET
- शिक्षा मनोविज्ञान के प्रमुख सिद्धांत व प्रतिपादक|Shiksha Manovigyan Ke Pratipadak
- UPTET Target Times Paper PDF|प्राथमिक शिक्षक वर्ग हेतु महत्वपूर्ण नोट्स
- बुद्धि निर्माण एवं बहुआयामी बुद्धि और शिक्षा: Multi-Dimensional Intelligence-CTET TET Notes
- गार्डनर का बहुबुद्धि सिद्धान्त(GARDNER THEORY OF MULTIPLE INTELLIGENCE)
- Moral Development Theory of Kohlberg – कोह्लबर्ग का नैतिक विकास का सिद्धांत CTET NOTES
- Principles of Development विकास के सिद्धांत – CTET -TET Exam STUDY NOTES
- Concept of Growth and Development (वृद्धि और विकास की अवधारणा) CTET EXAM Notes
- UPTET CTET Sanskrit Pedagogy PDF Free Download
- Sanskrit Notes PDF For UPTET CTET Free Download
You May Also Like This
- Ancient & Medieval India By Poonam Dalal Dahiya Full PDF Download
- Fast Track Objective Arithmetic by Rajesh Verma Pdf Download
- Pariksha Vani Jeev Vigyan in hindi Download PDFEthics Book PDF For IAS free Download in Hindi
- भारतीय वायुसेना दिवस ( महत्वपूर्ण तथ्य ) Indian Air Force Day ( Important Facts )
- भारत की प्रमुख फसल उत्पादक राज्य – Major Crops and Leading Producers
- Biology GK Questions Answers In Hindi-wikimeinpedia
- Important Temples in India | भारत में महत्वपूर्ण मंदिरों सूची
- Insurance GK Questions Answers सभी प्रतियोगी परीक्षाओं के लिए
- भारतीय सेना का सामान्य ज्ञान प्रश्न सभी प्रतियोगी परीक्षाओं के लिए
- Indian Polity GK Questions-भारतीय राज्यव्यवस्था सामान्य ज्ञान
- महत्वपूर्ण नोट्स GK 50 Notes in Hindi for Competitive Exams
- General Knowledge Hindi-2019 महत्वपूर्ण सामान्य ज्ञान
- RPF SI (Sub Inspector) Previous Year Question Paper PDF Download
- Lucent’s General Science Book in Hindi pdf free Download
- Lucent’s Samanya Hindi pdf Download
- Lucent SSC Higher Mathematics Part-2 English Edition का pdf
- Lucent Samanya Gyan संपूर्ण बुक PDF में डाउनलोड करें
- Lucent General Knowledge MP3 Free Download
अगर आप इसको शेयर करना चाहते हैं |आप इसे Facebook, WhatsApp पर शेयर कर सकते हैं | दोस्तों आपको हम 100 % सिलेक्शन की जानकारी प्रतिदिन देते रहेंगे | और नौकरी से जुड़ी विभिन्न परीक्षाओं की नोट्स प्रोवाइड कराते रहेंगे |
Disclaimer: wikimeinpedia.com केवल शिक्षा के उद्देश्य और शिक्षा क्षेत्र के लिए बनाई गयी है ,तथा इस पर Books/Notes/PDF/and All Material का मालिक नही है, न ही बनाया न ही स्कैन किया है |हम सिर्फ Internet पर पहले से उपलब्ध Link और Material provide करते है| यदि किसी भी तरह यह कानून का उल्लंघन करता है या कोई समस्या है तो Please हमे Mail करे.